Tuesday, September 7, 2010

School

September 2nd my three little birds had started Oakland's Primary School.
Back home Rylee would of gone to 4th grade, Drew to 2nd and Brooky would of started Kindergarten. However, because school system is slightly different here, Rylee went to what they call year 5, Drew is in year 3 and Brooklyn is in year 1. Not having any schooling she is going straight into 6.5 hrs/day of school. :(
I have spoke to the teachers and some school officials and they didn't think that academically it's going to be a problem. They had kids in the past from the US and they have always been able to catch up. So catching up we do: Drew---time's table. Brook--abc's, site words, reading. Rylee---she said she hasn't heard anything that she doesn't already know :) OoooKay!!! I mean, she was ahead in Reading, but "anything" ?
Hmmmm, I guess, we will have to wait and see.
As you may already know they have to wear uniforms and I just love that! First of all, it was soooo much chipper to do school shopping this year. Uniforms for Primary kids are dirt chip here, thank goodness! Their school colors are white, red, grey, black. They even have PE kits/clothes and book backs (back packs) in those colors. Also coats and jackets, the whole wardrobe is color coordinated.
It sure was a site to drop our kids off on the first day and see everyone dress so proper! Troy was trying to take some pictures, but was politely asked to stop doing it. It is against school security. Speaking of which, they are really streak about that in here. I can't just walk into school and bring my kids lunch box, if they forgot it at home. It's gated and locked! If I must see my child, I have to buz by the gate and tell them who I am and why I am here. And then they will buz me in and have me wait in the reception. I guess, I shouldn't complain about security and safety of my kids, I'm glad they have it. It's just different and so I am blogging about it. They are very health promoting in here as well. For example: Kids, can't bring sweets in their lunch boxes. They can't have PB&J, or sodas, or anything that has sugar in it. They must have water bottle to help them to stay hydrated. And they must bring fresh fruit for snack during their break. Also, kids can't throw a way anything from lunch box. They want parents to see how much lunch their kids eaten....
Well, I'm sure there is a lot more going on that is different, Rylee should update her blog. She will know much more, I'm sure. But here are some photos of the kids in their uniforms. I just think they are so cute. I have hard time not snapping a shot of every outfit they put on. Skirts,slacks, and dresses. Short sleeve blouse, long sleeve blouse. Grey cardigans, red cardigans. Knee high socks, or grey tights. You got the idea :)
Anyway, here they are, in some of the choices of clothing they can wear.




2 comments:

Marnae said...

I want to move there just so my kiddos can be that cute. and bonus we could be neighbors. Miss you you English beauty. You look soo great.

Brett and Becky said...

I need to move to England. These are 2 issues I have always had a problem with at our schools. The fact that anyone can just walk in and the horrible school lunches they provide. This year it is all home lunch!
You kids look so cute in your uniforms! I love the girls skirts and knee highs. And Drew, you are so handsome!