
Last week we got to experience something that locals say almost never happens...We got snowed in. We got more snow then England has seen in almost 20 yrs...that's what they told me.
Honestly, I think it was about what we, in Utah get all the time. But here they are not very good at cleaning the roads, nor are they prepared in how to handle it properly. I guess, when you don't get that much snow on regular basis, it is easy find yourself in a state of emergency.
All the schools got closed. Public transportation got canceled and many, if not most people were forced to stay home.
On the first day of the snow we were advised to get ourselves to the grocery store and buy as much as we can fit into our tinny fridge...we were told that food supply will get low and they will have no deliveries till snow melts...yes, melts! City will not clean it...go figure
So, I got geared up, grabbed Ryder's stroller and up I went to the local store which is located at the top of this very steep hill. It was CRAZY!! I felt like I was in a twilight zone! Everyone is wearing RAIN boots...that's right, rain, not snow. People walking up or down the hill pulling snow slates full of food. NO ONE was driving or even attempting to. It was quite challenging to hike up the hill with 2 ft of snow and then pushing stroller through it....
Arriving to the store I found it to be almost empty! What the heck? It's just snowed for a day. Well, I grabbed as much as I could to put on my stroller and then some....and off I went thinking it should be easier to go down the hill...well, it wasn't It took a lots of muscle to push that stroller full of groceries through 2 feet of snow. When I arrived home, I was exhausted! That was an amazing work out!
I was also extremely grateful that I knew how to make bread (they were out).
For 5 days we were snowed in. No TV, Internet or way out of our town. I'm proud to say that kids were able to come up with some interesting games and way to entertain themselves. On the 6th day, believe it or not, but it RAINED! HARD! Crazy England!
What was incredible to find out on Sunday, is how much members of the church take care of each other. I have learned that many sisters walked miles to bring food to their sisters. I am not talking about walking a block, none of the members leave within that close of a distance. I'm talking about walking for maybe an hour or more just one way. What an amazing example of service and love for one another. I have a lot to learn from this fine sisters, that's for sure.
1 comment:
What an eventful week! Love hearing your updates, keep them coming. ps. the boys(and Shane and I) LOVE Troys mini movies. They ask to watch them when I ask if they want to watch a movie. I even find them quoting them during they're play.
Post a Comment